With technology taking centre stage irrespective of the industry concerned, an MSc in Computer Science in Canada has become one of the most preferred courses for domestic and international applicants like Indian students.
The MSc in Computer Science spans around 16 to 24 months in Canada and can give you global exposure and specialisation in diverse fields, such as artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning (ML), cloud computing, robotics, etc. Computer Science ranks among the top 10 subjects to study in Canada and is one of the most popular courses for international students seeking higher education. If you are looking to pursue MSc in Computer Science in Canada and want to create a list of top ten colleges to apply to, we have you covered. This article discusses the eligibility, admission process, and more, alongside listing the top Canadian universities for Masters in Computer Science.
Top 10 Colleges for MSc In Computer Science In Canada
|University Name||Course Name||Tuition Fee for the First Year||Minimum IELTS/TOEFL Score|
|University of Toronto||MSc Computer Science||INR 24 lakh||7/93|
|University of British Columbia||Master of Science in Computer Science||INR 15 lakh||7/100|
|University of Waterloo||Master of Mathematics – Computer Science||INR 27 lakh||7.5/100|
|McGill University||Master of Science in Computer Science||INR 12 lakh||6.5/86|
|Université de Montréal||Master of Science in Mathematics and Computational Finance||INR 16.8 lakh||6.0/NA|
|University of Ottawa||Master of Computer Science||INR 28.5 lakh||6.5/88|
|Queen’s University||MSc in Computing||INR 16.4 lakh||6.5/88|
|University of Calgary||Master of Science in Computer Science||INR 20.5 lakh||7/97|
|Ontario Tech University||MSc in Computer Science||INR 22 lakh||6.5/80|
|Bishop’s University||MSc in Computer Science||INR 22.6 lakh||6.5/90|
Scope To Study MSc In Computer Science In Canada
Here is why an applicant should consider studying MSc in Computer Science in Canada –
Canada ranks amongst the safest countries globally according to the Global Peace Index. University campuses have 24-hour security. The crime rate in Canada is a third of the United States. People of all genders, ethnicities and cultural backgrounds are accepted in society.
Even though the education fee for international students is higher than for domestic candidates(which is expected), as compared to other top countries for education, like the UK and the USA, it is more affordable. In addition, the cost of living and accommodation is also reasonable compared to the UK or the USA.
Universities in Canada are known for their high standard of education. A myriad of colleges in the country are among the top-ranked globally and have garnered global traction and appreciation. As per QS World Ranking 2022 for Computer Science and Information Systems, Canada has five of the Top 100 education institutes for the subject globally.
A Huge Demand
Technology is one of the fastest-growing sectors worldwide. It is also gaining traction in Canada, and up to 52,300 new openings are expected to be created in the country for web programmers by 2026. In addition, 20,700 and 10,100 new job openings are expected for software engineers and computer engineers, making the course more lucrative.
Listed below are the eligibility requirements for studying MSc in Computer Science in Canada –
- Proof of at least a 16-year educational history from affiliated academic bodies is required with the desired break-up of 10+2+4
- Bachelor in Computer Science or an equivalent degree from an accepted university with the required minimum marks. Most universities demand a minimum of 60% for successful applications
- Minimum GPA of 3.25 out of 4, a CGPA of 7 or 8 out of 10, or a percentile equivalent of 80%-85%
- Students must have the requisite English proficiency. For this, international students will have to score the minimum IELTS/TOEFL required by the university. Most top colleges demand a minimum of 6.5 or 86 for IELTS/TOEFL as part of admission requirements, respectively
- The applicant must have cleared standardised exams before applying for a Master’s degree in Computer Science in Canada. While not compulsory, most universities demand GMAT/GRE with the requisite score within the last two years
Here is the general admission process for studying MSc in Computer Science in Canada –
- Admissions for top universities occur in three seasons in Canada – Fall, Winter, and Summer
- The duration of the course spans between 16 months to 24 months
- The application form is available online for most universities
- The applicants need to furnish additional documents and other details to complete the admission process
Listed below are documents you require to furnish along with the application form and application fee (non-refundable) for the admission process –
- Translated transcripts of all the previous education (universities can also demand attested copies)
- Updated CV/Resume
- SOP or an essay outlining why you want to be a part of the program
- At least two LORs (Letters of Recommendation)
- Proof of English language proficiency (IELTS/TOEFL mark sheet)
- GRE/GMAT score proof
- Proof of funds for covering the expenses incurred for completion of the course
- A copy of the visa valid for the end of the course period
Approximate Cost to Study MSc In Computer Science In Canada
The annual cost of studying the MSc in Computer Science program in Canada is approximately CAD 50,000-CAD 70,000. If we convert it into INR, the amount is approximately between INR 28.75 lakh and INR 42 lakh. It includes living and travel expenses, the cost of other tests, such as GRE, and visa charges.
Given that affordability can be a factor, several scholarship options are available that act as financial aid for candidates, enabling them to turn their dreams into reality. Here are the scholarships available for studying Masters in Computer Science you can benefit from –
- Entrance Scholarship at the University of Calgary
- International Major Entrance Scholarships Outstanding International Student Award
- David R. Cheriton Graduate Scholarships
- Hani Zeini Scholarship
- Graduate Fellowships Stephane Durocher
Career Prospects after MSc In Computer Science In Canada
MSc in Computer Science in Canada opens a world of lucrative opportunities that are not only well-paying but also emotionally fulfilling, providing a student to imbibe more and more as they garner more experience. The average salary of an information system and computer science specialist in Canada starts at around INR 30 lakh per annum or roughly around INR 1500 per hour. While entry-level jobs come with an average salary of INR 25 lakh per annum, experienced specialists earn over INR 1 crore annually. In addition, the growing importance of human-computer interaction across sectors is further expected to unearth new roles for those specialising in computer science and a significant uptick in pay scale. Listed below are some of the top career options for graduates who have completed an MSc in Computer Science in Canada –
- Systems Designer
- Data Scientist
- Computer Programmer
- IT Specialist
- Game Developers
- Networking Manager
- IT Managers
- Software Architect
- Software Development Specialist
Canada is undoubtedly one of the top places to study MSc in Computer Science. It offers an ambience and the requisite tools to help students to grow and become successful professionals in computer science and technology. It is why many Indian students travel to the country every year to turn their information technology dreams into reality. If you are looking to get admitted to any top universities offering an MSc in Computer Science but do not know where to start, LeapScholar can help you come to a decision. We specialise in providing counselling to Indian students looking to study abroad and supercharge their careers. Click here to book a free counselling session with experts at LeapScholar today.